g500 wheels fit g63

9 replies [Last post]
drewtee
drewtee's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi All.

Just want to check that my 2003 463 G500 wheels will be a straight fit onto a g63 2012.

many thanks

Andy

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
Re: g500 wheels fit g63

Hi Andy,

What size were your G500 Wheels? (18 0r 20's?) and what rubber do you have on them ? 

Spider1V

drewtee
drewtee's picture

Actually, looking at the 2 cars from behind i'm going to need a wider profile for the G63

G500

Yokohama Geolander, 265/ 60 R 18

G63 

Vredestein 

305 / 35 ZR22 

the least i'll need is spacers!

Are spacers a good idea?

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Andy,

I am not sure on the 22's, however I did go up to the max on my G500 any bigger and I would have needed to think about spacers. Here is an old thread that has some good contact details on spacers. I will pass on the fact that with such 'low profiles' for a G you will not beable to get off road and you may find driving uncomfortable as it will pick up every pothole or ridge out there. Please do post up a pic when your finnished - alwasy nice to see an AMG! 

http://www.gwoa.co.uk/forum/new-boots-spider

Though with the AMG's I am not to sure, would propbaly drop either : Pistonhead or Evil Northern Rep (David Watkins) as he as an AMG as well, a PM and ask their advice.

Hope that helps

Spider1V

drewtee
drewtee's picture

That's the main problem. The 22's are really bad with any slght bumps and also have the 'squirrelling' effect which is why i want to try the 18 inchersm fro  The G500.

I'll drop that chap a message and ask him for further advice regarding spacers and check that thread-thanks for the info

Rgds

Andy

Theo
Theo's picture

The 18-inch wheel has to fit over the disks/ caliper;  as far as I know 18-inch fitted onto the G55, if the brakes on the G63 are identical then that should be no problem;

The diameter of the tyres has be identical, otherwise (apart from ride height) all your electronic helper will go funny; the electronics can be recalibrated, but finding somebody competent who is able to do it, could be a challenge;

What happened to your 20inch wheels? I have heard the G63 ride is significantly improved as compared to the G55.

drewtee
drewtee's picture

I want to put wheels on with fatter tyres that give the same diameter. 

The wheels on the G63 are comedy Brabus wheels- They look great but the ride is shiite and they would have no off road cabaility. Honesty, at the moment the G500 2003 is a much better ride.Once i have put some normal wheels on the car then i can compare ride quality. At the moment every bump is felt and the ride is skitish. When you floor it it is scary as it the Brabus engine upgrade. Obviously i'll keep the Brabus wheels for the next owner and maybe for the odd blinged up school run!

Theo
Theo's picture

I’m not sure about the 18-inch on a G63 idea; it follows probably a similar pattern to fitting 16 inch wheels on a G350/ G500, significantly better ride but a lot of understeer; if you consider fitting the original 20-inch tyres I would be interested to hear your opinion about the ride of the G63 vs G500;  there seems to be a consensus that the G63 is a significant improvement over the G55.

I own a G350, objectively speaking a perfect match of car and engine, but you can’t beat a V8.

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

I think Mickey Thomson do a wide 22" A/T tyre. Due to the higher sidewall it would probably make your G about 10 feet tall and the speed rating would be a bit low for a G63 but it would certainly look the part. 

drewtee
drewtee's picture

I have had confirmed that only 19inch wheels will fit a G63.

I've purchased AMG wheels with winter tyres which fit nicely , just need spacers to pad them out slightly as wheels arches are wide.

Got a quote from ORC for spacers @ 244 euro plus tac and carriage- Seems slightly pricey but will probably go with them.

Any other recommendations for spacer manufacturers as i may look on Germany Ebay. They seem to offer on there the brand 'H & R Trak',  are they any good?

Thanks

Andy