460 Steel Wheel Upgrade

10 replies [Last post]
SJHE
SJHE's picture

I have just bought a 1987 narrow body 280GE LWB which is fitted with steel wheels.

Sadly, these small wheels with 'skinny' tyres just don't do the car justice so I've been thinking about upgrading them.

My question therefore is, what are my options if I want to stay with genuine Mercedes wheels (& minimum conversion work)?

Is there a larger version of the standard steel wheel available that will fit straight on? Am i right in thinking that the steel wheels on the 461 are bigger?

Any suggestions appreciated...

Also, are there any differences between the wide body and narrow body G's other than the wheel arches and wheels themselves? Are the axles the same width?

Thanks

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 460 Steel Wheel Upgrade

Hi

The 461's run a 6j x 16" Steel Rim

I have supplied a few sets and we also have a brand new set in stock if you need some?

£102 each + vat in Silver

Could do them for £82 each + vat Delivered anywhere in the UK

Silver Centre Caps are circa another £5 each

They will bolt straight on....

The Bodywork is all the same with the exception of the Wheel Arch extensions

The later axles were circa 50mm wider (Track Enlarged) from the early 463's 1990's ish onwards....

Cheers

Gav

SJHE
SJHE's picture

Thanks for your response...

Just out of interest, do you stock any other wheels that are suitable for the 460?

Cheers

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

My comment...

I use these steel wheels [6jx16] with 235.85x16 - LR Disco size and same as 461 PUR current G's.

No arch extensions needed

This set up fills the wing shape nicely AND gives  higher gearing so cuts engine revs on mway

SJHE
SJHE's picture

Thanks Tony.

Do you have a photo of your G that you could post on the forums so that I can see the effect?

Thanks

panzer
panzer's picture

These may be the ones you are looking for - Tony will confim.

Sorry not a wonderfull picture of wheels but not bad of a 461

Roly
Roly's picture

There is also the option of the standard 460 alloy rims which are 7x15 and can take a 10 or 11 " wide tyre. They are available used. Item 5 on the website

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/start.html

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi

No not personally

I have sold a few sets and our stock management system has ordered a set for stock ;)

There if you need them

Tony and Axel both run them on their 460 / 461 G's

Gav

axel
axel's picture

i am sure tony will not mind this picture of his glorious 461 ex/macedonian army 'g' with 662 turbo power

and also a british fireservice (hampshire i think ) super 'g' -- both these run 6j wheels with the 235/85 r16 tyres -really sets off the stance of the g and fill the arches nicely and as tony points out perks the gearing up a touch - handy (makes the speedo accurate)

consur
consur's picture

Can anyone comment on the suitability of the early 463 alloys (7Jx15H2) i.e. item 6 on the rubicon website cited above, (with the addition of 25mm spacers), to fulfill SJHE's requirements of something upgraded in appearance and wider? Would they stick out too much on a vehicle with no wheel arch extensions?  Anyone done this?

cox.adrian
cox.adrian's picture

MY 460 FITTED WITH 30MM SPACERS DONT KNOW THE J NUMBER FOR THE WHEELS BUT THEY WERE FITTED STD 205 /16  NOW 235 / 16