460 Rear Drums - Re-line or replace?

4 replies [Last post]
fcp
fcp's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Pretty much the last mechanical item to pass MOT on my recently acquired 460 are the rear brakes which are almost totally non functional with seized balance valve and both cylinders.

I looked at service kits for the cylinders but opted for new instead since they weren't super expensive.

Mechanic is suggesting that with the brakes apart it would be sensible to replace the shoes which are very borderline (150K on the clock), but MB are quoting around £270 a set !! (rear axel is 741502.. which I think is the earlier Perrot unit) - A4614200020 

The alternative would be new liners (A6024236510 I think) which I've seen other people suggest and would be much cheaper.

I'm just not sure whether there's anything to be wary of with this approach. Would you DIY or have someone else do it?

Some people seem to have problems with both option being difficult to refit/ oversized for some reason.

Whichever option I think I'll replace the drums, hoses to stainless and use a spring service kit (A0025863242) at the same time.

Advice as always much appreciated.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture
Re: 460 Rear Drums - Re-line or replace?

Hi

If you have PERROT shoes they will be stamped on the side with the name on each shoe.

I think the hand brake cables clip into the back plate where as the MB type bolt on.

The spring kit is right for the PERROT brakes

The drums are A601 423 50 01 and are £50 each + vat and are available in stock in MB Germany.

They are the same as the 307/308D vans and you should be able to get 20% to 30% discount from the dealer

(Try a Commercial dealer instead of a Car one as they are a bit quicker to give discount)

A set of standard size linings are A463 423 01 10 and are £66.50 per axle set + vat and should come with all the rivets.

and are again available in Germany and should take 48 hours to get.

You could DIYrivet these but there are still out there companys that will rivet linings on your old shoes for around £10 -£15.

Try Truck Trailer spares companies like Fleet Factors or HS Atec etc, depends where you are in the country if your

Northern England i may be able to suggest someone.

The main problem with fitting that people get is that MB supply oversize shoes and linings to allow for worm/skimmed drums

and if you try and fit oversize shoes to new drums you will have an issue. Standard shoes and new drums will be fine.

Oversize linings are A463 423 00 10 and are £62.50 + vat per axle set if you decide to go with your old drums and skim them.

The part number A463 423 01 10 is a supercession of the A602 423 65 10 number you had.

Hope this is clear and makes sense. The CV dealers will always give you a bit better deal if the parts are ones they can get

because they are fitted to van aswell like these drums and shoes are.

It is a shame that upto 2/3 years ago they used to do service exchange shoes at around £45 per set which was much easier.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Gav

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

I thought M/benz did charge a lot for the shoes, but the bulk of that charge is refundable surcharge when you give your old shoes back;  I do not know of charges currently.

I would opt for your local motor factor to have your shoes relined. 

You do not necessarily renew the brake springs unless they are damaged or corroded, but it is your money to spend.

Cheers,

needamerc
needamerc's picture

New drums are cheap too. About £65 each?. Same as the old MB vans. Having the shoes relined is standard practice. New spring set is a bonus but rarely needed. Wheel cylinders are only about £12-15 each new for Delphi, more for Febi. Bleeding the system afterwards is a pain. Let a professional do it.
Eddie.

fcp
fcp's picture

Thanks for the help again everyone.

The guys got the drums apart and thoroughly cleaned to conclude that actually the shoes were't worn at all, but rather the cylinders having been seized (for a very long time) meant that the inaction of the brakes had allowed a huge build up of rust and muck from the drums that the looked worn way until cleaned!

That was the last thing and I now have a shiny new MOT - first one on the vehicle since it was SORN around 18 months ago.

Drove it about 100M this PM.. all seems well.. Now on to the minor things.. time to switch back to the electrical forum!

thanks again!