460 Heater control sharing knowledge

No replies
Simon666
Simon666's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Just sharing a bit of knowledge which certainly helped me have a more comfortable drive in my 1985 300GD.

Now I know the early heaters have as good a reputation as the LR defenders, but in my efforts to stop mine either freezing or boilng me - I will leave you to wonder which was happeing in which season - I have the following 2 bits of experience.

1.0 It is worth flusing your heater matrix through if the 'hot' effort is feeble - Mine is a 5 year old replacement and despite everything seeming in order coolant wise a quick flush released about 100% more heat!

2.0 And the knowledgeable on here may well know this. In an effort to stop being boiled through summer ,I finally noticed that the cable clip on the valve that controls water flow to the matrix (in the engine bay on the front of the airbox) has 2 positions. Switching it to the lower one sets the cable lower and hey presto I can now finally cut off any hot flow through the matrix. Moving to the top allows full hot flow through the matrix - so you can at least avoid frostbite in winter!!, but you can never cut it completely.

Both the above might be simple co-incidence, and might be common knowledge, but they worked. Just make sure you keep hold of the clip when attempting 2.0 as it might not make your day to ping it off in to the engine bay

Ta

Simon